2019-20 Young Dance Class Program
Classes run September through May. Young Dance has an open enrollment policy.
Young Dance offers creative movement, modern, ballet, choreography, Hip Hop, West African Dance, contemporary Indian Dance, and Haitian Dance, all abilities dancing for indiviudals living with and without disibilities for any BODY. Students of all levels and backgrounds enjoy our collaborative and creative approach to dance! Young Dance is committed to making dance accessible to all interested participants.
Our academic year programming runs September 19, 2019 through May 16, 2020. All of our classes are taught by professional artists and dance educators with post secondary degree education. Three performances are scehduled during the academic school year for classes to participate in. These are the Fall Round Up, Pasta Promenade, and Spring Round Up. These performances showcase what the students have been working on in their classes.
*Dance Together participants will have an in-class celebration scheduled the last day of each session. Dance Together classes are scheduled for 2 shorter sessions throughout the academic school year. Session dates listed under Dance Together heading.
- Classes begin Thursday September 19, 2019
- Fall Break: Classes will not be held Thursday Oct. 17 - Saturday Oct. 19, 2019
- CO•MOTION Grand Opening Celebration and Student Performances - November 8, 2019
- Thanksgiving Holiday: Classes will not be held Monday Nov. 25- Saturday Nov. 30, 2019
- Fall Round Up! and Potluck, Saturday December 14, 2:00p.m. Location: Barton Open School
- Holiday Break: Monday December 16- Friday January 3, 2020
- Winter Break: No classes held Saturday Feb. 15th- Monday Feb. 17th
- Winter Workshop Day: Open Classes scheduled for all ages - Saturday Feb. 15th
- Spring Break: Classes will not be held Monday March 30 - Saturday April 4, 2020
- Production Week: Sat. May 9- Friday May 15th - All classes held in the CO•MOTION Theater
Spring Round UP! Saturday May 16, 11:00 a.m. Location: CO•MOTION Theater
Step One: View LIST OF CLASSES AND SCHEDULE
Step Two: Complete the REGISTRATION FORM
Step Three: TUITION AND PAYMENT INFORMATION
PROGRAM OPPORTUNITIES LISTED BY AGE:
1-3 years: Dance Together
3-5 years: Creative Movement One
5-7 years: Creative Movement Two
7-9 years: Modern Level One, Ballet, Get Movin', All Abilities Dancing One, Choreography, Company
9-11 years: Modern Level Two, Ballet, Get Movin', World Dance, All Abilities Dancing One, Choreography, Company
11-14 years: Modern Level Three, Contemporary Technique Studies, Ballet, Hip Hop, World Dance, All Abilities Dancing Two, Choreography, Company
14- 18 years: Modern Level Four, Contemporary Technique Studies, Ballet, Hip Hop, World Dance, All Abilities Dancing Two, Choreography, Company
18 and older: All Abilities Dancing Two
Ages: 1-3 with caregiver (crawlers and walkers welcome)
Children and their caregivers discover the joys of movement through movement games, stories, and songs. More Information
Session I: Monday Sept. 23- Wednesday Dec. 11
Session II: Monday Jan. 6- Wednesday May 13
Monday 10:00-10:45 a.m.
Wednesday 5:15-6:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:45-11:45 a.m.
All Abilities Dancing Two
Ages: 11 and Older
Participants develop skills of improvisation, partnering, and choreography with an emphasis on communication, collaboration, and performance.
Thursday 5:00-6:30 p.m.
Instruction in Haitian, West African, Contemporary Indian Dance. The class will rotate instruction and be taught by Djenane Saint Juste of Afoutayi Dance, Whitney McClusky of Duniya Drum & Dance, and Kealoha Ferreira of Ananya Dance Theater.
Haitian Dance: Sept. 25 - Dec. 11
West African Dance: Jan. 8 - Feb. 26
Contemporary Indian Dance: March 4- May 13
Wednesday 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Hip-hop dance refers to street dance styles primarily performed to hip-hop music or that have evolved as part of hip-hop culture. Instructed by Darrius Strong of Strong Movement
Monday 6:30-7:30 p.m.
This class will introduce students to both the exploration of the choreographic process and the basic tools used in choreography. Students will learn dance-making through improvisation, activities, and discussion.
Tuesday 7:00-8:00 p.m.
Saturday 2:00-3:00 p.m.
Invitation to Belonging, Oct. 18-20
Ages: 12 and older
An investigation into ways the arts create and sustain inclusive communities for teens and adults.
Through movement and theater arts, individuals ages 12 and older will explore building blocks of trust, communication of personal ideas, and collaborative creativity. The week-end will culminate in an informal public performance and celebration.
Teaching artists include H. Adam Harris, Jeffry Lusiak, Gretchen Pick, and more!
Registration for this workshop has three parts:
2. Intake Form
3. The workshop is $75 for participants not alreayd enrolled in Young Dance. $50 for particpants that are already enrolled in a Young Dance program. Tuition through Paypal or by check. If through Paypal continue to click button below. Checks can be mailed to: Young Dance, Fairview Business Center, 655 Fairview Ave. N. St. Paul, MN 55104